Per Chapters 9-64 and 9-68 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, there are special parking restrictions that apply to certain types of vehicles and certain areas. Please click the links below for more information.
Commercial and Non-Commercial Residential Truck Parking
In an effort to update an outdated section of Chicago’s parking restrictions which adversely affects small, non-commercial pick-up truck owners and their ability to park on business and residential streets in the City, Section 9-64-170 of the Municipal Code has been revised to insure that non-commercial pick-up trucks weighing less than 8,000 pounds may park in the City of Chicago – provided certain conditions are met:
* If the non-commercial pick-up truck is owned by a City Resident and has a current and valid City Sticker, the owner may park the vehicle on a Residential or Business street.
* If the non-commercial pick-up truck is owned by a Non-Chicago resident, (e.g. a visitor from the suburbs) and does not have a current and valid City Sticker, the owner may park the vehicle on a Business street.
Commercial pick-up trucks, junk vehicles, and any pick-up truck weighing more than 8,000 pounds are still prohibited from parking on ANY residential and business streets.
Contractor Parking Placard
Section 9-64-170(a)(3) and (b)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago allows a contractor who is actually engaged in delivery, service or repair work at a particular address for a particular customer to park their vehicle within a reasonable distance of the address where such work is being performed if:
* The vehicle is emblazoned with the business name and business license number of its owner; and
* The customer’s address is clearly displayed on the vehicle’s dashboard; and
* The vehicle is lawfully parked in accordance with the general parking requirements of this Code.
Parking is permitted only while such work is actually being performed and at no other time. If a service vehicle permit is required under Section 9-68-060, such permit must be obtained. For a copy of the Contractor Parking Placard form use the following link: