Chicago residents living within an established Residential Parking Zone may be eligible to include a Zone Number on their City Sticker and/or purchase Chicago Residential Parking Daily Permits, which are guest passes that are valid for 24 hours upon the date and time of display. Buy at an additional cost of $25 per year (prorated for varying durations). Upon paying to add a zone, the Zone number that corresponds with the signs on your street will appear at the top of your City Sticker. If the word NONE appears on your vehicle sticker, you do not have a Residential Parking Zone on your sticker.
The following restrictions apply:
- Residents purchasing Residential Zone Parking for their Chicago City Vehicle Sticker must reside at a Chicago address within a designated residential parking zone, which must be demonstrated by proof of address.
- The Residential Zone Parking Permit expires at the same time as the City Vehicle Sticker on which it was printed.
- The Office of the City Clerk reserves the right to deny sale of the zone parking permit if it is determined the purchaser has attempted to violate the rules regulating the Chicago Residential Zone Parking Permit.
- Proof of Residency
To establish current residency within a Residential Parking Zone, the purchaser must present the following documentation:
- A valid driver's license or state ID
- Any government issued ID such as a U.S. Passport or U.S. Military ID
AND any of the following documents that include the same name and the updated and complete address:
- A current mortgage or lease;
- A bill for any of the following utilities or services:
- Property tax;
- Water, gas or electric;
- Landline phone (cell phone bill NOT accepted);
- Satellite or cable television;
- USPS Change of Address Confirmation.
If you already have a Customer Code, you may purchase online at EZ>BUY. If you would like to have a Customer Code created for you to purchase passes online, please email copies of your photo ID and proof of address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Residential Zone Parking Permit expires at the same time as the City Vehicle Sticker on which it was printed.
The Office of the City Clerk reserves the right to deny sale of the zone parking permit if it is determined the purchaser has attempted to violate the rules regulating the Chicago Residential Zone Parking Program.
The Office of the City Clerk reserves the right to void any order – and void shipment of the order – if it is determined purchase was made fraudulently.
Once an order is placed online, IT CANNOT BE CANCELLED.
Daily permits are not exchangeable for any other product.
Daily permits are not refundable.
A customer’s expiration date for their Resident record for their ability to purchase Daily Permits will vary, depending on documentation provided.
Purchasers must not provide false or otherwise misleading information, or attempt to violate the 45 permits per household per 30 days limit.
The Office of the City Clerk reserves the right to temporarily disqualify a purchaser from the program if it is determined they have attempted to violate the rules regulating the Chicago Residential Parking Daily Permit Program.
Any online order not claimed within 90 days, regardless of the reason, shall be deemed forfeit and not claimable. Such online orders shall not be available for no fee re-issue.
- Find Your Zone
Residential Zone Parking limits parking on designated streets in densely-populated or highly trafficked areas to Chicago residents and their guests only, for either all times or for certain days/hours.
Vehicles parking in a residential Parking Zone during applicable days/hours must display a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker with Residential Zone Parking or a Chicago Residential Parking Daily Permit. The Zone number on either the Chicago City vehicle Sticker or the Daily Residential Parking Permit must match the Residential Parking Zone permit number posted on the street signs.
Residential Zone Parking Search Tool
Look up Residential Zones on EZ>BUY.
- Purchase Residential Daily Permits
Chicago residents living within an established Residential Parking Zone may be eligible to purchase Chicago Residential Parking Daily Permits, which are guest passes that are valid for 24 hours upon the date and time of display. By law, the date and time must be printed in ink, and the permit must be displayed in the lower passenger corner of the windshield. You must have a customer code to purchase a Daily Parking Pass. If you don’t have a customer code please see the section below.
Please bring the documents listed below in person to one of our Office of the City Clerk locations or upload copies using this e-form in order to retrieve a Customer Code to purchase Daily Passes Online.
- Any government issued ID such as a valid driver’s license, state ID, U.S. Passport, or U.S. Military ID
AND any one of the following documents that include the same name and the updated and complete address:
- A current mortgage or lease (within 12 months);
- Property tax (within 12 months);
- A bill for any of the following utilities or services (within 30 days);
- Water, gas, or electric;
- Landline phone (cell phone NOT accepted);
- Satellite or cable television:
- USPS Change of Address Confirmation
Please note, daily permits expire each year on December 31. Passes being purchased now will expire on December 31, 2023. The expiration date is printed on the back of the product.
Chicago Residential Parking Daily Permits $8 for 1 sheet of 15 permits, $16 for 2 sheets of 15 permits (30) with a limit of three permit sheets at $24.00 – or 45 permits – per household per 30-day period. Please allow 12 business days for order delivery by mail.
Passes reported lost or never received 90 days or later from the purchase date are not eligible for reissue or refund.
- Add or Change Zone Number on Sticker
If you already have a Vehicle Sticker and need to add or change a Zone, please bring the Sticker and proof of residency to a City Clerk location. We will provide you with a replacement vehicle sticker, but we need your old vehicle sticker even if it is damaged. Additional fees may apply.
If you already have a City Vehicle Sticker but need to add a Residential Zone Parking Permit number to your Sticker, please bring in the following items to a City Clerk location:
- Your old City Vehicle Sticker;
- Proof of your residential address within a Residential Zone (See About Residential Zone Parking for acceptable documentation); AND
- A photo ID that matches the name on the City Sticker and the address documentation.
The cost to add a Residential Zone to your City Sticker is $25 per year and will be prorated accordingly based on the duration remaining on your City Sticker.
If you already have a Zone Number on your City Sticker and need to change to a different Zone Number (e.g. You moved from one Zone to another), the administrative fee is $5.00.
- Establish a Zone
Residential Zones are established per City Ordinances introduced by Chicago Aldermen. Chapter 9-64-090 of the Municipal Code outlines the requirements to establish a Residential Zone.
If you are interested in learning more about Residential Zones in your area, please contact your Alderman.
The Office of the City Clerk maintains records of the Residential Zones passed per City Ordinances, but has no part in the establishment of Residential Zones.