New Resident, New Vehicle, New License Plates

If you are a new resident to Chicago, you must purchase a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker. If you obtain a new vehicle you must purchase a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker or transfer your vehicle sticker to your new vehicle.  

If you are a new resident to Chicago, or your vehicle is new to you (or both), avoid late fees and only pay for the time you began your residency/purchase date through the sticker expiration date by providing one of the following items in addition to your vehicle information: 

In order to create or update your record, we will need proof of your full VIN, license plate number, and plate expiration, which are listed on your State Vehicle Registration ID Card.

Please provide a legible copy of your State Vehicle Registration Card and government issued ID (Driver's License/State ID)

New Resident: 

  • Lease document proving date of lease of residential property 
  • Mortgage document or deed proving purchase date of residential property 

New Vehicle: 

  • Bill of sale from a bona fide vehicle seller/dealership 
  • Executed vehicle title document (in lieu of bill of sale from bona fide vehicle seller/dealership) – must include VIN 
  • Customer-copy of a validated Illinois Department of Revenue Official Form: ST-556 
  • Customer-copy of a validated Illinois Secretary of State Official Form: VSD 190 

NOTE: You are subject to the Wheel Tax on the exact date you begin your residency in Chicago and/or acquire a new vehicle, and your City Vehicle Sticker Term Start will be the first of the month in which you reside in Chicago or acquired your vehicle. The date your document was processed/printed/stamped by the issuing entity is irrelevant. Please ensure that the purchase date or date you established residency is clearly indicated on your valid documentation. 

New records – by default – include a $60 late fee ($30.00 for senior-discounted City Stickers) as well as possible monthly prorated back charges. The date your documentation was processed/printed/stamped by the issuing entity (such as the Illinois Secretary of state, Illinois Department of Revenue, etc.) is irrelevant to the City Vehicle Sticker Term Start. Please ensure that your move-in/purchase date are clearly indicated on your valid documentation.